Monday, May 12, 2008

Thank you, you.

She handed her RM50 to the cashier, only disappointed to hear a word saying, "Sorry, no change". She frantically started rummaging through her wallet, having to find only a few coins clinking, enough to make up only about a dollar. A guy came up behind her, waiting in the line. Hopeless, she turn to him, "Do you happen to have change for RM50?"

"Nope."


Dismayed, she almost began to walk away when he slid on the counter a 1 dollar note, with two fifty cents, making up 2. "Here's all I got, top it up for that drink okay?" Gratefully she accepted it, smiled at him, and top it up with her coins and handed it to the cashier. She managed to mutter: "Thanks, when can I pay you back?"

"Nah it's alright." He replied.

Her heart silently whispered:" Thank you, you. Eventhough you didn't know my name, you gladly offered help, without expecting anything in return"

You know, this kind of little things are those worth remembering by jotting it down. It makes me believe that nice people still exists in this world. I mean, he could have just kept quiet and walk away, and probably I have to walk to another shop just to get change, but no, he chose to make a difference. Practicing random kindness to strangers.

I should learn to be like that too. Doing that little bit to make the world a happier place, a place that practices strangers are just friends that we are yet to meet. Come to think of it, just within this few days, I've made new bonds, new friendships. Friendship that I never thought could happen. It all started with a smile, followed by a little conversation on common interest, then it slowly blossoms. All it required was that bit of courage to say hi, to break the ice.

God has been teaching me alot. Being stubborn it took very long to make changes in my life. I was indignant to let my pride down by being the first to say hi, or even ask for help when I need to, and slowly I learn through people that it ain't hard. Don't judge a book by it's cover, because some people are just so warm inside, even when they don't seem to be.

Those few incidents really was an eye opener for me. To experience it, to absorb it, and hopefully, practice it in future. Learning that putting on that sour face isn't going to help the situation, but worsen it. Additionally, to try starting each day with a bright smile plastered on the face, and it'll soon grow onto you.

2 comments:

Hwee said...

hey! not sure whtr u rmbr me. or knw who am i. haha
random kindness.
just wanna share with u.

about christmas time last year, i was on the road with a friend. on Kesas highway. and we got to pay for toll.
i randomly came up with this idea of paying for the car behind me.. haha and told the cashier to wish the person in the car "merry christmas & happy new year"

we drove off, and the car that the toll was paid for by us actually drove up to us and waved at us. they (there was 2 guys in the car) were laughing! haha it was really one of the most happiest moment.
=)

roz* said...

(; Of course I remember you.

Hoho that was sweet of you guys!
Definitely one of the days where your heart smiles because of a totally different reason, random kindness to strangers.

Hehehe.